We’re a little over a month into the new year. A few weeks ago you set some pretty big goals (if not, don’t worry there’s still time to do so!). I want to talk about rest. I know, I know … you’re probably wondering how this is relevant to goals, but hear me out.
I used to fight rest so much. I would workout with injuries, spend long hours at my desk, and found myself checking to see how many steps I did or didn’t have throughout the day. Doing this did NOT serve me. I remember one day crying to a friend (who happened to work at the gym I go to) while I was on the treadmill about how tired I was. You know what she did? She kicked me out of the gym for a week! Yep – I almost couldn’t believe it, but she was serious. I listened to her, and at first it was so hard, but by the end I was so incredibly grateful.
This “take a break from the gym for a week” exercise helped me gain a new appreciation and respect for rest. From time-to-time, I find myself not pushing so hard. And upon doing so, it’s helped me with some perspective about rest.
5 Benefits of Rest
1. Helps you with concentration and focus on the things you need to get done.
2. Avoids burn out. Rest is a perfect reset to avoid the over trained workouts or burn out from projects or tasks at work.
3. Lowers the risk of heart disease.
4. Reduces stress.
5. Can boost your immune system.
Here are the ways I find myself enjoying rest these days.
7 Ways I Enjoy Rest
1. Turning off my alarm on Saturday and Sundays.
2. Drinking an extra cup of coffee.
3. A weekend away or a week long vacation.
4. Reading a book in my favorite comfy chair.
5. A leisure outdoor walk or hike (not for a workout, but more for peace and fresh air).
6. Movie night on the couch.
7. Enjoying a bonfire.
There are so many ways to rest and it comes down to what you love and enjoy! Have fun finding what brings you JOY!